Just like you or me, your pet can have an allergic reaction. They can be allergic to bites or stings, their vaccines or medications, and the same things that people are commonly allergic too, such as nuts and shellfish. They can also be susceptible to outdoor allergens including grasses, pollen, and mold. No matter how the allergy manifests, it needs to be treated and sometimes treated fast. There are excellent allergy treatments for pets and medications that they can take to help with symptoms. Here are six signs that your best friend may be having an allergic reaction.
The same way a person’s face can become swollen, a pet can have swelling if they ingest something they are allergic to, or if they are stung by a bee or wasp. Swelling occurs around the muzzle, ears, and eyes, but can also appear on the paws if they walk across a plant they are allergic to. Make sure that you’re keeping an eye out for your long hair pets, as it can be harder to spot with them. A sign of a swollen face, other than the swelling, are pets pawing at their face.
Hives can be hard to spot in long-haired animals, but if they are itching, hives can sometimes be the cause, though not all hives are itchy. You can use your hand to feel along with their skin and search for warm, raised bumps. Hives are not life-threatening, unlike other allergic reactions, such as swelling, but it is important to take your pet to the vet as they can be incredibly uncomfortable.
Just like in humans, one of the signs that your pet has an allergic reaction is itchiness, sometimes accompanied by hives and sometimes not. If you see your pet scratching, biting, or licking themselves excessively, especially if they are going to the same spot, it is a good idea to check and see. Before you decide it is an allergy, make sure no mites or bugs are going along for a ride and if they are, remove them immediately, as their bite could also be causing an allergic reaction. Wash the area, in case the reaction is from an outside source such as pollen, and if the itchiness persists then take them to the vet, as they can break their skin open with scratching and biting.
Coughing and Sneezing
This is especially common if your pet is allergic to something outside, or dust or mold. While not life-threatening, coughing and sneezing are very uncomfortable for them, and so you should see a vet. Try to identify what they are allergic to, as it may also be a tip that there is mold growing somewhere in your house or yard.
If your pet eats something that they are allergic to them, they might have gastrointestinal problems. This may result in vomiting or diarrhea. These symptoms, especially when paired with unseasonal itchiness, are a good indication that your pet ate something they were allergic to. They must be seen by a vet immediately, and they may need to have allergy testing to avoid this in the future.
This is the most severe allergic reaction that a pet can go through. Your pet can go into shock, have difficulty breathing, collapse, and die. If they have an anaphylaxis reaction, they must be rushed to the vet and tested for allergies. Some pets have this reaction after vaccines, and so they should be monitored carefully after receiving a vaccine.
Consult your vet about treatments for allergies. Over the counter, Benadryl is often enough, but should never be given to your pet without first talking to your vet. Pets who have anaphylactic reactions can be treated with epinephrine.
All credit goes to For Your Fur Kids